Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weekend one is already over. Classes start tomorrow!

I've already been here for 3 days! It's gone fast and so much has happened. Saturday day I met Heather and Erynn who I went into Grantham with! The town is so cute and we only got to see a TINY portion of it. There is still so much to explore in it. While we were there we got a few essentials at some convenience-type stores. We also went to a cute little coffee shop where I got my first English latte. It was in a super sweet cup :) Saturday night we had a reception and Principal's dinner with a fancy meal. It was fun to get dressed up and be in a different atmosphere with people. After the dinner Heather, Erynn and I checked out the Bistro, which is a hangout/bar area in the basement of the manor. We decided to be super wild and played a board game called Touring London. Haha.

Today, Sunday, a group of us went to an English church which was built in 1170! It was a nice service and the church was beautiful. We walked back to the manor to see the town of Harlaxton. The houses are adorable and I want to live there (or some place like it) someday! Also on our trek back we were invited into a very special apartment which is located inside of the archway that is located on the long driveway to the manor. I was not aware of such a place existing. A couple who were on sabbatical from a school in the states was staying there and gave us a quick tour. It is beautiful. I'm finding everyday that there are hidden and unknown things in and related to the manor. I'm sure the day I leave this manor I will still be discovering new things! The rest of the day was more orientation and business stuff to take care of. I did, however, sign up for things to get myself involved at the school: Yearbook committee, the volleyball team (we actually play local leagues!), choir, and I applied to be a Harlaxton Ambassador. The position requires that you give tours to guests of the manor. I am a bit nervous about it but I thought it would be a great way to learn more in depth about the manor and to meet new people! So I shall for sure be updating on the process!

Classes already start tomorrow. I am more excited than anything because it will give me a chance to meet even more people and I am interested to see how the classes are taught!

Quick story: While in Grantham, I was at a store (very similar to Wal-Mart) and a guy bumped into me. I apologized and he said "I'm so very sorry, darling" (in an English accent, of course :) I absolutely did not mind that he bumped into me because he was so polite and had a wonderful accent! It was a happy moment! Haha

Next entry will be all about classes, I'm sure. Until next time lovlies :)

4 comments:

  1. of course we are cool. except me, i quit because i sucked at that game so much! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you need to get some pictures on here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are finding things to be involved in! You know how I am on that subject. You will get to meet a lot of people while having fun and learning new experiences. miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete