I really am terrible at this blogging thing. I am a procrastinator, by nature. But usually I'm better if my procrastination is going to affect others. I am sorry if you come here expecting new updates and they are nonexistant. Time here moves exponentially; there is never enough of it. I have yet to write about my first experience in Ireland, Oxford/Bath/Stonehenge, Edinburgh and being with my mom in general, my two Nottingham excursions, and after this weekend, my second experience in Ireland! Are you intrigued? That's a lot of information about to come your way. I have an hour before I have to start my day, so I will fill that time with writing ...typing to be exact, so you can get a little taste of the last month of my life!
To be completely sporadic and not go in any sort of order, I must first mention Nottingham University. This week we were given the opportunity to use our free Wednesday afternoon to partake in a FREE trip to Nottingham University. I was hesitant to sign up, initially. I have already been to both Cambridge and Oxford Universities, what was the point of seeing yet another campus? Boy, am I glad that I did not listen to my gut. Being here is all about seizing opportunities, and I'm all about a free trip, so I signed up. Best decision of my life. I had been having a terrible Monday and Tuesday. I think part of it was the fact that I stayed at Harlaxton this past weekend. That sounds...somewhat spoiled? But I'm so used to being able to escape from this place on weekends that maybe staying here was a little bit too much. However, Nottingham was the perfect remedy :) It was one of the most gorgeous autumn days I have experienced. The campus was packed withorange and yellow [ no red :( ] trees; they were everywhere. Crunchy leaves, brisk autumn air, and lush green grass. There was a lake on campus, with a waterfall, that we walked by. Nature really does have healing powers; it's insane. I dragged the group to the English Studies building, we explored the library, and roamed the student union building. I made what is probably my most prized purchase in England so far: a mini Oxford thesaurus, complete with British spellings (ie: favourite, colour, analyse, theatre)! I love it! It was incredibly nice to spend a day away from Harlaxton and just meander around.
I did also spend last Saturday in Nottingham with Ashleigh, but for a very different reason: shopping! Not only is Nottingham famous for being the home of Sherwood Forest and Nottingham University, but it also has a very thriving shopping district. The day that we went was one of the five days that it's rained since I've been here. However, there was some sort of African festival going on while we were there which was really cool. There was music and booths with African art. We went to the main shops: Primark, Top Shop, New Look - the works. We also went to a really nice buffet restaurant for lunch, where we got to "taste the world." It was all in all a nice day and I made a small amount of purchases :)
Oh, and funny story! In Nottingham, Ashleigh and I were looking for Primark, so I asked a TK Maxx employee (haha) where it was. She told me to go up the hill, where we will see two "clocks" on either side of us, and then take a right. So we reach the top of the hill, no clocks in sight. We head back down, thinking maybe we went up the wrong hill. Nope. That is the only hill. We head up again. Still not clocks. However, there are two "Clarks" stores on both sides of the street! Haha. The lady definitely said "Clarks," but to us Americans, we heard "clocks." You wouldn't think of a language barrier going to an English speaking country, but it happens. We definitely felt slightly stupid and laughed for a long time about that one :)
I've loved going to different countries, more than I can even describe. But I also think it's important to experience things in England. It's the country I've dreamt about coming to for years. Nottingham, Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, London have been wonderful. I'm hoping to be able to go to Liverpool before the semester is over (crossing my fingers); we'll see if my bank account agrees with that or not?!
I'm going to make separate posts about the other places/things. So, read on!
I got to Skype with a few of you last Sunday which was nice [sorry if it was slightly awkward?] :) Those of you who I haven't seen or talked to since I've been away, I hope you are doing well!
Cheers!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment